We had a fantastic bit of time this afternoon reading with grade one buddies. We can learn a whole lot from them!
This is how it works:
1. We (the grade fours) partner up a grade one student.
2. The grade one student brings their “GOOD FIT” books with them and reads a page to us.
3. We listen to and coach the new reader – offering strategies when needed.
4. The grade one student then listens to us read with fluency and expression.
5. Every time a page is completed – the listener summarizes the events and characters that they’ve learned about.
It was fantastic. We practice active listening, summarizing of main events, and fluent reading. The grade ones have a super cool friend to read to and get helpful tips from.